Going to BSD 8 from RELENG_7

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Fri Aug 14 08:18:09 UTC 2009

>I cvsup and build RELENG_7 many times a week.  This has served me well

>(except for the ZFS boot problem I had that went in and was backed
>out) for quite a while.

>I like to track a STABLE release.  When BSD 7 went to 7.1 and to 7.2,
>it all just happened automatically with the way I do things.

>Now I am interested on one of my BSD machines to try 8.0.  I need to
>change my cvsup target from RELENG_7 to CURRENT I believe.  Is that
>true?  When will STABLE become 8.0?

>Also, does anyone know if there is a project page that talks about
>8.0, its timeline, its features, etc?  If you type "8.0" into the main

>freebsd.org web page it find nothing on the entire web site.
>Obviously something is wrong...

>Thanks!

>Dan Allen
>Spring Lake, Utah

Change your target to tag=RELENG_8 to track 8.0-Stable Or to
tag=RELENG_8_0 to get the release (When it is released!!!!)
If you want to track CURRENT change your target to tag=. < do not forget
the dot it is CURRENT ;-)
Tag=. Will become FreeBSD 9 when 8 is released.

To see some big changes go to the following page.
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd8.html

It give you one nice overview of things changed.

Be aware that if you go from 7 to 8 you will need to rebuild all your
installed ports.
ALso if you do a buildworld from 7 to 8 do not do the make delete-old
and the make delete-old-libs before you have rebuild your ports.
If you do the make delete-old and make delete-old-libs runs, all ports
depending on the FreeBSD 7 libs will not work any more.  << read:  most
likely all your ports.
If you have changed for example your Shell for root to a ports based
shell like bash and you do the make delete-old-libs you can not log in
anymore, because bash depends on the 7 libs wich are not there anymore.

And as usual MAKE A GOOD BACKUP !!!!

Regards,
Johan

08/13/09 18:16:00