Problem with IBM Thinkpad T30 shutting down due to high temperatures

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 07:30:51 UTC 2009

Hi Alexandre,
Hello list,

2009/8/14 Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko <gaijin.k at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 23:53 +0200, Christian Walther wrote:
>> Hello list,

[...]
> Add something like
>
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.passive_cooling=1
> hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV=75C

I did. Well, not 75C, because this value seems to be somewhat low. The
critical temperature is 92C, and the original value of _PSV is 86.5C.
This might be to hight, so I'm currently experimenting with lower
values. So far, 84C really seems to be an acceptable value.
Additionally, I'm trying different settings for powerd, which really
seems to make a different as Roland stated in my "ACPI/Cpufreq issue?"
post.

> Also, please, consider following advice on cleaning up dust and possibly
> re-applying the thermal paste given elsewhere in the thread -- on my
> 2-year old laptop doing both shaved about 3C from the normal operating
> temperature.

Yes, doing some internal cleaning and applying new thermal paste is on
my list. Luckily IBM supplies good manuals and the Thinkpad can be
disassembled easily. It's on my list and will be done next week.

Luckily, reducing _PSV made it possible to rebuild world and kernel,
so my system is up to date in this regard. I yesterday tried to build
some complex ports (audio/mumble, which in turn requires QT), and it
worked nicely. But I'm not entirely satisfied and will keep tweaking
the system (after I did the cleaning...).

Christian