status of flash9/flash10 support in RELENG_7 ?

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Thu Aug 6 21:12:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 09:38:05AM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 03:35:00AM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > Does anyone know what is the status of flash9 or flash10 in RELENG_7 ?
snip

> > Is there a recipe for a working flas9 or flash10 operation ?
> >

> The Handbook gives a reliable, i.e. reproductible one, recipe:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html
> 6.2.3 Firefox and Macromedia® Flash Plugin
>
> for running Flash 9 under 7.X and with default linux_base.
>
> I'm also working on an update for 8.X

Many thanks, Marc, for this information. I was not aware (shame on me)
that the Handbook does treat this big problem as well.

You cannot imagine (nobody can imagine) the number of hours
I've spent since ages to get Firefox and Flash9 working on FreeBSD-stable.

So, this morning, I've started the n-th trial. Bad luck.
It doesn't work anymore for the following two reasons:

The first reason is the linux-pango vulnerability encountered with
nspluginwrapper. Okey, I knew that already (see
http://www.freebsdnews.net/2008/11/04/flash-9-for-freebsd-71-howto/).
Overriding the problem (reluctantly) with ``setenv DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES yes''
brought me to the second reason which is even worse.

Portmaster is unable to fetch install_flash_player_9.tar.gz and I
cannot find the file manually. Seems to have disappeared from earth.

I don't know how long I'll be able to resist against buying
a MacBook for my wife who does want to see videos ``like anybody else''.
Of coarse, this does not mean that everybody has a macintosh:-) By the
way, I've tried Ubuntu, I've tried PC_BSD. Not really satisfactory.
There is no alternative to FreeBSD.

Could anybody out there provide install_flash_player_9.tar.gz for me
as a temporary measure ?

Harald