experiences with Supermicro Twin servers? (6016TT / 6026TT / 6015TW)

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Thu Apr 30 21:04:32 UTC 2009

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> are there somebody with some experiences (bad or good) with Supermicro
> Twin servers? Mainly with 2U model 6026TT-TF or 1U model 6016TT-TF build
> on top of Intel 5520 Tylersburg (or any other?)

They lack PS2 ports so you need USB keyboard to work properly.  When I
tried FreeBSD 7.1 on the previous generation (based on Intel 5400
Seaburg), the keyboard would not work at all, even though it worked with
7.0.

The IPMI daughterboard conflicts with the on-board LAN when FreeBSD is
running, causing packet loss and reduced performance and sometimes locks
you out.  So you need to use IPMI with a dedicated external LAN port -
which then blocks the only available PCIe slot.

- Andrew