FreeBSD 7.2 RC2 Installation

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:38:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <
m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <
> m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All ,
>>
>> I have installed FreeBSD 7.2 RC2 for testing its installation on a PC with
>> the following configuration :
>>

>> Main board : Asus  P5VD2-VM
>> Processor : Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
>> RAM : 2 GB
>> Hard Disk : Seagate ST3250410AS 3.AAC ( 238 475 MB ) SATA II
>> PS/2 Mouse
>> PS/2 Keyboard
>> VGA : On board ( Chip model is not specified in manual ,
>>                                 supports up to 2048 x 1536 at 75 Hz,
>>                                 up to 256 MB shared memory )
>>             Dmesg recognized it as  vga0 : < Generic ISA VGA >
>>                                                        sc0 : VGA < 16
>> virtual consoles , ... >
>>                                                         vgapci0 : <
>> VGA-compatible display >
>> Monitor : Philips 109B6 ( max resolution : 1920 x 1440 , advised
>> resolution : 1600 x 1200 )
>> re0 : < RealTek 8169/8110SC Giga-bit ... >  :   Manual : RealTek RTL
>> 8110SC
>> DVD : < TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J/SB02 >
>>

>> from SysInstall main menu , first DHCP YES selected .
>> Installation : Standard
>> Partition : Existent OS has been deleted , and entire disk allocated to
>> FreeBSD
>> Boot : Standard
>>
>> Choose Distributions : ALL
>> DHCP : Router Detected
>> All of the packages installed with the following exceptions :
>> Categories : accessibility , chinese , ipv6 , japanese , korean , palm ,
>> Packages from selected categories :
>>    ghostscript7-nox11-7.07_20
>>    apache+mod_ssl-1.3.41+2.8.31
>>    apache-1.3.41
>>    sudo-1.6.9.20
>>    links-2.2,1
>>    lynx-2.8.6.5_5,1
>>    rxvt-2.6,4_5
>>    xorg-vfbserver-1.6.0,1
>>

>> (1)
>>
>> During package installation the following errors occurred :
>>
>> add of package ,,, aborted , error code 1 :
>>
>>     kdemultimedia-4.2.2
>>     xscreensaver-gnome-hacks-5.08
>>     gnome-screesaver-2.26.0 failed .
>>     emacs-22.3
>>

>> (2)
>>
>> After installation , I have included into rc.conf
>>   gnome_enable=¨YES¨
>>
>> After reboot , it gave error dbus_enabled=¨YES¨ is not specified in
>> rc.conf
>> I included this also in rc.conf , and rebooted .
>>
>> Gnome could not be started due to  Xorg exited on signal 6 error .
>>
>> I tried xorgconfig -textmode
>> but xorgconfig is not available in release 7.2 RC2 .
>>
>> I tried Xorg -configure
>> and X -config /root/xorg.config.new
>> it exited with signal 11 .
>>
>> startx : Not working .
>>

> The FreeBSD 7.2 amd64 RC2 has been installed .

Onto the same PC , I have attached another hard disk and by connecting SATA
and power cables I have made it  bootable .

I have installed Solaris 10 ( 2008-10 ) . It booted and installed in GUI
mode and worked .

Then , I have installed FreeBSD 7.2 amd64 RC1 onto the same disk by erasing
existing OS .
7.2 amd64 RC! exactly behaved like 7.2 amd64 RC2 .

Then , onto the same disk I have installed FreeBSD 7.1 amd64 Release by
erasing existing 7.2 amd64 RC1 .

I have applied the same steps to make X11 to work .

# xorgcfg
   xorgcfg : Command not found .

# xorgconfig

It started but I discontinued  it .

# Xorg -configure
# X -config xorg.conf.new

Worked .

# cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then I have added to /etc/rc.conf
gnome_enable=¨YES¨

After reboot it worked , but very slowly .

It detected screen resolution as 1856 x 1392 at 61 Hz with a very nice and
clearly readable
font .

After a new reboot , it worked very well .

Conclusion : There is a difference between 7.1 amd64 Release and ( 7.2 amd64
RC1  and RC2 )
                         behaving differently on the same PC .
                         Error message with Signal 11 is not related to
possible hardware failure .

The main board is the following :

( Asus P5VD2-VM )
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=2sYAtam7ng8vCngf

I do not know whether such messages are useful or  unnecessary , but my aim
is to contribute to
testing of a release candidate .