7.1-STABLE Sun Mar 29 01:06:46 ADT 2009 Locks up ...

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 28 12:00:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 20:39 +0200, Martin Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Marc and List,
>
> i had similar issues with FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE. Server (zfs,nfs)
> seems to hang in intervals of about 8 hours.
> kernel is still there but no connections can be made to nfs/ssh and
> login on local console doesn't seem to
> work due to incredible slowness. breaking to the debugger takes a
> moment but works.
> (compiling kernel with WITNESS didnt help)
>
> the server had been solid before with 7 stable kernel from around 19
> October 2008.
>
> I now added these lines to /boot/loader.conf
>
> hw.pci.enable_msi=0
> hw.pci.enable_msix=0
>
> to disable Message Signaled Interrupts. Which are used by the 3ware
> twa driver and igb network driver on our server.

If you are willing to test further on your server, it may be helpful if
you could determine which of those two lines in loader.conf fixes the
problem for you.  It would also be useful to provide a dmesg from the
machine when both msi and msix are enabled.

FWIW, looking at the "vmstat -i" output it appears that only the igb
driver that are using MSI/MSIX, unless you have a reason to suspect
otherwise?

Gavin