wpi driver freeze on boot

Paul B. Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:03:00 UTC 2008

On 9/30/08, Henrik Hudson <lists at rhavenn.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2008, "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda at gmail.com> sent a
> missive stating:
>> On 9/30/08, Henrik Hudson <lists at rhavenn.net> wrote:
>> > I've got a HP dv8000 laptop. Setting up the wpi driver for wireless
>> > freezes the system on boot with the following error:
>> >
>> > wpi0 requested unsupported memory range
>> > wpi0: could not allocate memory resource
>> >
>> > It lists a pcbi device (pcbi4 i think) and an actual memory range, but
>> > since I
>> > have to reboot using kernel.old the /var/run/dmesg.boot is wiped with
>> > the
>> > info. Is there anyway to grab the info when it freezes when it reboots?
>>
>> Perhaps, entering single-user mode.
>
> Nope. Disable ACPI, safe-mode and single user don't help at all.

Ah, I see it, there is no way to look dmesg output in that way because it was
never actually saved.

>> Add this lines to your kernel to help debug problem.
>>
>> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
>> options         KDB
>> options         DDB
>> options         GDB
>> options         INVARIANTS
>> options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
>> options         WITNESS
>> options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN
>
> This doesn't really add anything to the output near the wpi freeze and I
> still
This one should put you into kdb when system panics, from where you could post
output of bt.

> can't get to the actual message, since when I reboot it wipes it out. Any
> other isolation steps or ways to get detailed info to at least a cut and
> pastable state?

In that case you need to enter to kdb as soon as possible during boot, and
sidestep each boot instruction until something bad happens, .... well it is not
trivial task at all.

For more info you may read developers-hanbook. (Located in /usr/share/doc/en/books/)