jails and mac_seeotheruids problems in 6-STABLE

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 30 16:16:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, George Mamalakis wrote:

> It works like a charm! Thank you very much for your time and help,

No problem -- I've gone ahead and committed that change to stable/6.  If
you're able to test 6.4RC1 when it comes out to confirm that the fix works
there as desired, that would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge

> regards,
>

> Robert Watson wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, George Mamalakis wrote:
>>
>>> I have 3 servers in my lab. 2 of them are running 6-STABLE and one of them
>>> is running 7-STABLE. All three have services running in jails. I noticed a
>>> very peculiar behavior in 6-STABLE when I set the sysctl
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.enabled=1. The root user in my jails was not
>>> able to see processes and sockets owned by other users of the same jail,
>>> whereas the root user of the host system could see every process (thank
>>> the Almighty). The same behavior does not apply on the server running
>>> 7-STABLE.
>>>
>>> In one sense it is more secure, since the root user in a jail is not as
>>> "strong" as the root user should be in a UNIX system. On the other hand,
>>> the root user looses its purpose of existence, which I suppose is a bug.
>>>
>>> Below are the security.mac sysctl settings of both 6 and 7-STABLE:
>>
>> Could you try modifying
>> src/sys/security/mac_seeotheruids/mac_seeotheruids.c in a 6.x tree so that
>> the call to suser_cred() in mac_seeotheruids_check() passes the
>> SUSER_ALLOWJAIL flag rather than 0?  This may correct the problem you're
>> experiencing.  Let me know and I can merge that change to 6.x.
>>
>> Robert N M Watson
>> Computer Laboratory
>> University of Cambridge
>>

>>> 6-STABLE:
>>>
>>> security.mac.max_slots: 4
>>> security.mac.enforce_network: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_pipe: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_posix_sem: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_suid: 1
>>> security.mac.mmap_revocation_via_cow: 0
>>> security.mac.mmap_revocation: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_vm: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_process: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_socket: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_system: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_kld: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_sysv_msg: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_sysv_sem: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_sysv_shm: 1
>>> security.mac.enforce_fs: 1
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid: 0
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid_enabled: 0
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.primarygroup_enabled: 0
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.enabled: 1
>>> security.mac.portacl.rules: uid:80:tcp:80,uid:80:tcp:443
>>> security.mac.portacl.port_high: 1023
>>> security.mac.portacl.autoport_exempt: 1
>>> security.mac.portacl.suser_exempt: 1
>>> security.mac.portacl.enabled: 1
>>>

>>> 7-STABLE:
>>>
>>> security.mac.max_slots: 4
>>> security.mac.version: 3
>>> security.mac.mmap_revocation_via_cow: 0
>>> security.mac.mmap_revocation: 1
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid: 0
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid_enabled: 0
>>> security.mac.seeotheruids.suser_privileged: 1