GELI partition mount on boot fails after 7.0 -> 7.1-PRERELEASE upgrade

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 30 15:35:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 02:54:45PM +0300, Kyryll A Mirnenko aka Mirya wrote:
> I was using a GELI partition for /usr/home on 7.0, so it attaches and mounts
> on boot. The problem is it stopped working after the system was upgraded to
> RELENG_7/7.1-PRERELEASE. Here's how it goes:
>
> I have the following /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad0s1d             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1f.eli         /usr/home       ufs     rw              2       2
>
> After upgrading to 7.1 and rebooting:

> Configuring Disk Encryption for ad0s1f.
> Enter passphrase:
>
> geli:
> Cannot access ad0s1f (error=1).

Something keeps ad0s1f open, so geli cannot access it. Could you add
somewhere 'sysctl -b kern.geom.confxml' (maybe to /etc/rc.d/geli
script), so we can see how keeps ad0s1f open.