system hangup - I'm lost

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 30 14:53:40 UTC 2008

olivleh1 at nudel.salatschuessel.net:/usr/obj/i386-pentium3-6.3/usr/src/sys/NUDEL

> The exact release doesn't matter since it happened before. It always
> happens afer some time of having some load on the system (I'm building
> ports with tinderbox and during the build process it just hangs up).
>
> The system does nothing write out on the console, neither the CRT, nor
> the serial console.

1) Setup support for crashdumps.
2) Add 'DDB' and 'KDB' to your kernel.  When it hangs, break into the debugger
(CTRL+ALT+ESC) and run 'panic' to generate a crash dump.
3) ps -axl -M /var/crash/vmcore.X -N /boot/kernel/kernel

(where vmcore.X is the core file generated, probably vmcore.0).  That's the
first place to start.

--
John Baldwin