proposed change to support policy for FreeBSD Releases

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Tue Sep 23 23:33:05 UTC 2008

freebsd-stable et al ...

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 01:37:03PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> Some quite lively offline discussion has come to conclusion with the
> following suggestions to change the support policy.  Obviously, this
> is what we feel would be a good idea, but it's obviously open to
> discussion and there's nobody demanding anything here.  It just seems
> "better".
>
> Old text:
> > Each branch is supported by the Security Officer for a limited time

o/ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
O\  whole heap of content sniped for brevity.

> > a minimum of 24 months after the release.
>
> Proposed (starting point for discussion for) new text:
>
> Each branch is supported by the Security Officer for a limited time
> only, and is designated as one of `Early adopter', `Normal', or
> 'Final'. The designation is used as a guideline for determining the
> lifetime of the branch as follows.
>
> Early adopter
>      Releases which are published from the -CURRENT branch will be

for support of my hardware and any 'new' machines that might wander by
.. i like these two definitions, the clarity of teh time line

i mean, Early Adopter / Normal

> Normal
>      Releases which are published from a -STABLE branch will be

but, in particular i like this (Final) as a place to find some
certainty and a place to plan the next step as regards freebsd upgrade
path and future hardware acquisitions .. a safe place to plan and look
froward from ...

> Final
>      The final minor release on a given branch will be supported by
> the Security Officer for a minimum of 24 months after the release.

o/ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
O\  whole heap of contents sniped for brevity.

thank you gentle peoples for working out this solution. it has given me
some much needed clarity as regards forward moving planning.

as well as looking to very clearly simplify the desicion making process
as regards, not just, 'which freebsd to use' but when to move and what
release to move to. as well as helping with the going forward hardware
acquisions processes. not all gifts make good freebsd platforms.

it helps to know with some kind of certainty wht hardware is being
supported/worked on and still in pre-development stage so to speak.

at any rate a good place to start with as regards this whole 'support'
business .. makes sence to me .. thanks, gang.

keep up teh good work .. very much appreciated

most kind regards / appreciations.

jonathan