Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Sep 18 21:03:07 UTC 2008

At 04:13 PM 9/18/2008, Jo Rhett wrote:
>On Sep 18, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>>I am sorry, I meant, what have you contributed currently or in the
>>past to FreeBSD ? i.e. what code, or money or physical resources
>>(hardware) or time testing code ?
>

>I do a lot of testing and patches regarding components we use.  Search
>the PRs.  I maintain several ports.

I had a search and I see some PRs you have submitted, but I guess you
commit under a different @freebsd.org email address ?

>  I built freebsd package
>management into cfengine, and greatly extended the package management
>functionality above and beyond to support every operation freebsd can
>take on a package.

>  We host numerous freebsd developers in our
>facility for nearly nothing.

Thats most excellent!  I think people would take your suggestions
with greater gravity if you reminded them with a few URLs to point
out the various commit messages that say, "sponsored by
netconsonance" etc. Or perhaps a few of these numerous developers
could speak up on your behalf?

>   We pay for development of features that
>we need but don't have the appropriate skills to fix ourselves.

That then went back into FreeBSD  ? Can you give examples ?     I ask
all this as you really, really want things to change, and you say you
have resources to offer, yet you seem to have alienated a LOT of
people from previously similar threads
(http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-stable/200806/msg00037.html)

You advocate that people not reject your offers of help and
resources, yet at the same time respond to developers who actually do
a LOT of work and were going to look at what you have to offer by way
of bug reports that you are way too busy to oblige
http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-stable/200806/msg00069.html

Perhaps if you posted some references to success stories you have had
with the FreeBSD developer community at large, this would help make your case.

         ---Mike