mysterious uname non-updates

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Wed Sep 10 17:14:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Oliver Fromme wrote:

OF>  > today, updating one of my machines, I got the following mysterious results
OF>  > after reboot:
OF>  >
OF>  > root at ogre:~# sysctl -a | grep RELE
OF>  > kern.osrelease: 6.3-RELEASE
OF>  > kern.version: FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #4: Thu Jan 17 15:28:57 MSK 2008
OF>  > root at ogre:~# strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep RELE
OF>  > AE_RELEASE_DEADLOCK
OF>  > 6.3-RELEASE-p4
OF>  > FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p4 #6: Sun Sep  7 23:13:45 MSD 2008
OF>  > @(#)FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p4 #6: Sun Sep  7 23:13:45 MSD 2008
OF>  > root at ogre:~# env | grep -i uname
OF>  > root at ogre:~#
OF>  >
OF>  > WTF? Why my kernel reports that it is previous version (actually it is already
OF>  > deleted, so I'm double puzzled)
OF>
OF> What does "sysctl kern.bootfile" say?
OF> And are you sure that you rebooted the right machine?  ;-)

sysctl kern.bootfile said correct /boot/kernel/kernel

And it was the right machine, but... in a bit "interesting" configuration:

there are two pairs of mirrored disks: ad4/ad6 with gmirror, and ad8/ad10 from
systems are refered as /dev/mirror/*

Strange and mysterious thing was sourced by ad8 somehow activated to be *BIOS
BOOT DISK* - so boot blocks, loader *and kernel* was loaded from there, but
root mounted from correct /dev/mirror/m0a.

Removing old pair of disks returned situation to controllable ;-)

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]