nVidia driver update today: renders X11 unusable

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Sat Sep 6 14:03:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 02:28:20PM +0000, O. Hartmann wrote:
> How can I selectively 'downgrade' a port?

I've never had the nv driver be able to happily (or at all,
really) drive my LCD screen, so I've been using the VESA driver.
Works pretty OK.  So it's not accelerated, but chips and busses
are fast these days, and the nv driver isn't doing 3D accel
anyway.

I saw the nv driver update come up, and was going to give it
another go, but maybe I'll wait for a bit...

FWIW my system is an Athlon X2 box with NVIDIA motherboard
chipset and a cheapo 6600LE graphics card.

Anyway, my point is that you should be able to use the VESA
driver as a fall-back until the nv driver starts to work
(again?)

Cheers,

Andrew