FreeBSD 7.1 Content

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 5 10:09:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 08:45 -0600, Dan Allen wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2008, at 12:20 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> It was using Ubuntu that caused me to realize how far behind FreeBSD
> is on the desktop side, and how, with a SMALL AMOUNT of work and
> changes, it could make a big jump forward by this proposed simple
> addition.  Heck, if nothing else the installer could simply say in a
> help screen, "if you want a web browser on your system, type 'pkg_add -
> r firefox' on your system and edit blah blah .conf blah".  As it
> stands right now, however, there is very little in the install process
> which helps a user get X up and going with a browser.
>
> Thanks to everyone else for their comments.
>
> Dan

(this isn't meant to be a flame :)

For me, part of the install process was reading the handbook, which
details quite clearly how to go from sysinstall to desktop.

Projects driven by billionaire South Africans can target their paid
developers at whatever tasks they think are important. It seems very few
FreeBSD devs are interested enough to attack this 'small amount' of
work, and that is their (valid) choice*. In a volunteer project,
volunteers work on what interests them, not what someone else thinks is
important.

Cheers

Tom

* although check out finstall.sf.net, which looks as though it will be
very good.