Inspiron 1525 Hardware

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:56:36 UTC 2008

Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 11:32 -0600, Dan Allen wrote:
>> On 4 Sep 2008, at 10:29 AM, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
>>
>>> This is supported by the iwn(4) driver in CURRENT, and it should be
>>> quite easy to port the driver to 7-STABLE.  If you're interested in
>>> reinstalling FreeBSD and testing a backported driver, I'm sure this
>>> can be sorted.
>> I am interested in doing this.  Please advise on how I can get these
>> bits.
>
> I've got hold of a laptop with the 4965 chipset in it, if nobody beats
> me to it I'll have a go at backporting the driver.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the intel wireless ethernet.

The iwn driver in CURRENT works well.

The http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/msk/msk.88E8040.patch patch for
the 88E8040 simply doesn't work.  It is not because of lack of testing
(which I have performed for Pyun who wrote the patch), but apparently
because of lack of reliable documentation.  There is a driver for
FreeBSD on the Marvell web site, which did work for me, but I am told it
is unreliable.

I also have had a hard time getting the sound to work.  The oss port
does work, but has a habit of freezing up.