FreeBSD 7.1 Content

Oliver Peter lists at peter.de.com
Thu Sep 4 15:11:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 08:48:46AM -0600, Dan Allen wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2008, at 3:42 AM, Oliver Peter wrote:

> >> I have not written patches, thus I did not send any patches.
> >

> > `-->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
> >
> > Btw. my philosophy is if you would like to use your favourite open
> > source
> > operating system - which I guess is FreeBSD - on your new hardware,
> > you
> > should spend additional 15 minutes when you make the decision what
> > hardware
> > you are going to buy and check the specs with the "Hardware Notes" at
> > http://www.freebsd.org/where.html.
> >
> > Complaining afterwards is easy but no one forces you to buy
> > unsupported
> > hardware.
>
> Point taken.  A $500 Dell laptop, however, will be a popular machine
> and sooner or later should be supported.

Would be nice to have that, I agree with you.

But popularity is not an argument:
  Those 'fat' ATI graphics cards are quite popular as well but as long
  as the manufactor does not hand out nicer documentation you wont have
  a nice kernel module to get hardware acceleration.

--
Oliver PETER, email: oliver at peter.de.com, ICQ# 113969174
"If it feels good, you're doing something wrong."