Is it safe to delete /bin/[ && /usr/bin/false?

chris# at 1command.com chris# at 1command.com
Tue Sep 2 19:26:45 UTC 2008

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

Quoting Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au>:

> On 2008-Sep-02 10:49:43 -0700, chris#@1command.com wrote:
>> Well, I en devoured to install a copy of 7 as an effort to upgrade
>> one of our servers. After installing a few ports, I began to notice:
>> [: -le: argument expected messages being emitted during the configure/make
>> process.
>
> This probably indicates badly written configure scripts that have
> things like "[ 23 -le $x ]" but don't set $x.  The solution is to
> write patches for the configure scripts and feed them back upstream.

Bummer.

>> I've already invested a fair amount of time on this upgrade,
>> and /really/ don't want to wipe the disk(s) and start all over.
>
> I'm not sure how this will help.

Good. Perhaps you (or anyone) can suggest how I might debug /when/where/
these eval are called. I could use /usr/bin/script, but not sure how to
(e)grep the culprit(s).

>> This
>> issue is not new to me - see thread:[: -le: argument expected for details.
>
> You haven't mentioned where this thread exists - definitely not here.

Ahem...

Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org>:
On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:18:14AM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
I wanted to sync up my ports database before hand. So ran a portsdb -uU.
---8<---[huge snip]---8<---

Hello again Jeremy,
Well, after carefully examining your reply; emptying /etc/make.conf;
searching for any sign of another Apache APR, and finding none.;
performing a cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile && portsdb -uU && pkgdb -F;
which resulted in many [: -le: argument expected's, and
[: -eq: argument expected's; I performed a: cd /usr/ports/lang/php5 &&
make extract; Yep! You guessed it, [: -le: argument expected again!

Well, what was expected to be a 3 day affair, has turned into a 2 week
affair. At least that's been my past experience with installing a
FreeBSD server (3 days). :)

Anyway, I've run out of patience (and time) debugging this issue. So
I think it would be more expedient to wipe the disk and start anew. :)

If I should run into this again on the new install. I guess a
send-pr would be in order. Oh, and expect /alot/ of noise in the list. :)

Thank you again for your continued (and valued) input.

Best wishes.

--Chris H

I didn't mean to sound argumentative but the above was my last posting
to the thread: [: -le: argument expected
in freebsd-stable on Feb 2008. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

--Chris