bin/121684: : dump(8) frequently hangs

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Sep 1 20:13:27 UTC 2008

> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:06:35 -0400
> From: Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net>
>
> At 12:00 PM 9/1/2008, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> >I have a 7-Stable system which has not been able to successfully dump(8)
> >for about 2 months. Since it contains almost no important data that is
> >subject to change, it's not too big a deal, but I worry that other
> >systems might start showing the same problems.
>
> How does it actually fail ? Do the dump processes stall, or does it
> error out ?  Did you fsck the file system ? I have seen dump fail
> when the file system is dirty.  Also, I am not using snapshots.  The
> flags I use are
>
> /sbin/dump  -C24 -${BACKUP_LEVEL}anuf - /zoo | /usr/bin/gzip | dd
> of=/backup/zoo-level-${BACKUP_LEVEL}.gz

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I have done a full fsck,  but
not positive, so I will try one tomorrow. The system is in a location
which is unmanned today due to the holiday, and a full fsck kind of needs
either a human or remote console.

I have tried both with and without snapshots, so those don't seem to be
the problem.

In any case, I'll know more tomorrow.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer