bin/121684: : dump(8) frequently hangs

Derek Kuliński takeda at takeda.tk
Mon Sep 1 09:22:10 UTC 2008

Hello Michael,

Sunday, August 31, 2008, 7:12:54 PM, you wrote:

> Any progress here? Does anyone know if this will be fixed in 7.1 latest,
> or should we start looking for different backup solution (in this case I
> would suggest to remove dump from the source tree - having a backup tool
> that doesn't work is worse than having none). After upgrading we
> basically cannot backup our servers.

> Shouldn't this issue be on
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/errata.html?

I was generally upgrading to new minor version each time it appeared,
since usually the minor version number change meant that more bugs
were fixed and the whole OS was more started.

Now, you honestly scared me.

Actually I noticed some regression with dump/restore since 6.x and
7.0 (I reported some bugs, but I don't think there was much concern
about them). I don't get why nobody cares about this, I think having a
reliable backup is one of the most important things.

Now I'm honestly a bit scared about it (even if it will be fixed
before 7.1, I'm not sure I'll hurry with the update).

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda at takeda.tk
Scandisk is now checking your hard drive. You can start praying.