Script-friendly (parseble) ps(1) output?

Peter fbsdq at peterk.org
Fri Oct 31 10:57:30 PDT 2008

--
>===========
>Eduardo Meyer
>pessoal: dudu.meyer at gmail.com
>profissional: ddm.farmaciap at saude.gov.br

Here is something simple, and you can wrap the HTML around it...;

poshta:$ps axuww | while read USER PID CPU MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED
TIME COMMAND; do echo $PID $CPU $USER $COMMAND;done |head -3
PID %CPU USER COMMAND
11 89.6 root [idle]
5127 2.9 qscand spamd child (perl5.8.8)

the read ignores all white space...the last variable in that 'while read'
will hold everything beyond it...
ie;
poshta:$ps axuww| while read USER PID CPU MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED
TIME; do echo $PID $CPU $USER $TIME;done |head -3
PID %CPU USER TIME COMMAND
11 77.9 root 138080:11.91 [idle]
13607 5.0 qscand 0:09.12 spamd child (perl5.8.8)

etc.etc...

]Peter[