easy way to upgrade from 6.3 to 7.1 (including port packages)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Oct 27 12:44:26 PDT 2008

martinko <gamato at users.sf.net> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > I'd like a more general purpose utility, be it mergemaster or sth else.
 >   I like the way mergemaster works but I'd like to use it not only for
 > /etc (after make) -- I'd like to point it to my backup directory which
 > doesn't contain all of /etc and compare the files it finds with those in
 > /etc.

That can be done like this, assuming /root/etcbak is your
backup directory, and also assuming that /usr/src is of
the same date as /etc (if not, use cvsup or csup to bring
it to the same date).

# mkdir -p /tmp/newroot
# find /etc /root/etcbak | cpio -dump /tmp/newroot
# cd /root/etcbak
# mergemaster -D /tmp/newroot

The result of the merge will be in /tmp/newroot/etc.

 > Or point it to arbitrary 2 directories and compare their files.

You can compare arbitrary directories with diff -r.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall