6.4 RC1 locks up solid on first reboot

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Fri Oct 24 11:41:14 PDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 1:08 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
>> Has anyone filed a PR on this problem, or contacted John Baldwin?
>
> Yes, but debugging these hangs is very non-trivial.  It likely
> involves
> disassembling the BIOS and trying to see where it can get stuck in a
> loop.

John, is there anything I can do to provide you with more useful
information about this problem?

The board is a Tyan S2720
2 2.66G Intel Processors
4 Gigabytes of RAM
2 36G ST336607LC Cheetah drives

While playing around randomly I found something interesting.  If the
keyboard is attached while booting, you get the problem I reported
before:

> \

But if you boot without a keyboard it gets beyond that point and then

pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pci0b

Fatal trap 12; page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00

...a bunch of other stuff.  I can't capture this because I can't type
fast enough.  Also noteworthy, I can't hit "6" to set console to
comconsole so that I could cut/paste this.  It really seems like there
are major problems around the keyboard.  (and no such problems with 6.3)

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness