am2 MBs - 4g + SCSI wipes out root partition

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Fri Oct 10 10:30:40 PDT 2008

I get a problem on several am2 motherboards when an SCSI Adaptor (LSI or
Adaptec) is installed and with 4Gigs of Ram

the problem is easy to repeat, after some minutes compiling world the machine
crashes, sometimes a panic mmap ffs crossrefeerence or something, passes too
fast to look an when the machine comes back often the complete root partition
is gone or if not it needs manual fsck and mostly /dev references are gone or
other important parts so the disk isn't bootable anymore

funny is (for me) that the other partitions are ok ever and only root is
fucked ever

I tried MBs as Asus, Abit and Gigabyte all same result

Same hardware with SATA works perfect

Same hardware with scsi up to 3.5Gigs installed works perfect

what calls my attention that all this MBs do not have the memroy hole
remapping feature so the complete 4gigs are available what normally was not
the case with amd64 Mbs for the Athlon 64 CPUs

some has an opinion if this is a freebsd issue or MB falure or scsi drv
problem?

Gigabyte support tips a driver problem and no MB issue. Other manufactures
don't answer.

regarding the SCSI I tried the LSI U320, Adaptec U320 and Adaptec Raid SCSI
(aacd) and all of them give me the same problem

--

João