Problem with dump stalling
oberman at es.net
Wed Oct 8 10:01:42 PDT 2008
> Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 01:54:12 -0700
> From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:29:00AM +0200, David Peall wrote:
> > Hi
> > If I have the wrong list please feel free to redirect me.
> > I'm running 7.0-RELEASE-p4 and trying to backup to an external USB
> > drive.
> > I'm using the following command
> > dump -a0Lf /backup/diskimages/root /dev/mfid0s1a
> > Where df:
> > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
> > /dev/mfid0s1a 507630 208436 258584 45% /
> > /dev/da1s1d 709513458 9853800 642898582 2% /backup
> > The following processes start
> > 75399 p0 I+ 0:00.04 dump -a0Lf /backup/diskimages/root /dev/mfid0s1a (dump)
> > 75402 p0 S+ 0:00.71 dump: /dev/mfid0s1a: pass 4: 77.05% done, finished in 0:00 at Wed Oct 8 08:25:06 2008 (dump)
> > 75403 p0 S+ 0:00.85 dump -a0Lf /backup/diskimages/root /dev/mfid0s1a (dump)
> > 75404 p0 S+ 0:00.96 dump -a0Lf /backup/diskimages/root /dev/mfid0s1a (dump)
> > 75405 p0 S+ 0:00.86 dump -a0Lf /backup/diskimages/root /dev/mfid0s1a (dump)
> > But it just stops at a random percentage, the system continues to run
> > and the processes are killable?
> > Perhaps I'm using dump incorrectly if anyone could help would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> This is a known problem with dump on UFS2 filesystems. See
> "dump/restore" here:
> There is no fix, AFAIK.
> My recommendation is to use something else. I'm particularly fond of
> rsnapshot, but be aware that rsync will cause file atimes to be lost
> (on the source) when copying; this can impact classic UNIX mail
> spools (mbox), where people use clients like mutt/pine which utilise
> atimes to determine if there's new mail or not.
I had a system that was showing these exact symptoms David described. It
did this both with -L and without. I went for about 3 months without a
successful dump. I did at least two full system re-installs to no
avail. Then, about 3 weeks ago, when I was about to start some serious
debugging, it started working again. Nothing was touched between the
last failure and the first success. I'm completely baffled!
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
E-mail: oberman at es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634
Key fingerprint:059B 2DDF 031C 9BA3 14A4 EADA 927D EBB3 987B 3751
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 224 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/attachments/20081008/c68bd5e3/attachment.pgp
More information about the freebsd-stable