stable 7.0 and nslookup help command

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 7 10:33:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 06:30:23PM +0200, xer xernet wrote:
> Hello to anyone.
>
> I'm a FreeBSD user, i'm still a new bee but i still keep to learning.
> Anyway, here is my question:
>
> I use a FreeBSD STABLE-7 not installed by me, in this installation nslookup works very good and the "?" or "help" command working properly, infact the every time i recall the command "?" or "help" nslookup show me the file "nslookup.help" in /usr/share/misc.
>
> Now, i did installed (by me) e STABLE-7 and i don't understand why the "?" command is not implemented on nslookup, also the file "nslookup.help" doen't exist.
> How can i implement this feature on my fresh STABLE-7 install ?

Not to dissuade you from what you're trying to accomplish, but
"nslookup" has been deprecated (this has been stated a few times by the
BIND folks), and "host" is probably on its way out as well (though I
remember somewhere, sometime, nslookup used to state "being deprecated,
use 'host' or 'dig' instead" -- or something like that).

Please learn to use the "dig" command.  I realise it has a somewhat high
learning curve at first (syntax-wise it can be somewhat messy), but
ultimately it's an immensely powerful -- or simple! -- DNS tool.