fxp performance with POLLING

Bartosz Stec admin at kkip.pl
Mon Oct 6 07:02:33 UTC 2008

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Bartosz Stec <admin at kkip.pl> [081003 07:23] wrote:
>
>> Hello again :)
>>
>> With POLLING enabled I experience about 10%-25% performance drop when
>> copying files over network. Tested with both SAMBA and NFS. Is it normal?
>>
>>    FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Sat Sep  6 01:52:12 CEST 2008
>>    fxp0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xc800-0xc83f mem
>>    0xe1021000-0xe1021fff irq 20 at device 8.0 on pci1
>>
>>    # ifconfig fxp0
>>    fxp0: flags=9843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,LINK0,MULTICAST>
>>    metric 0 mtu 1500
>>            options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>>            ether 00:20:ed:42:87:13
>>            inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>>            media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>>            status: active
>>
>> BTW overall SAMBA performance still sucks on 7.1-pre as much as on
>> RELENG_5 ...:( - 7.5 MB/s peak.
>>

> 7.5MB is 75% effeciency of a 100mbit card.  Not amazing, but
> not "sucks".
>
> Where do you see faster performance?
>
> Between windows machines on the same hardware or linux server?

It sucks because it is a peak performance. About 5-6 MB/s average. I
tried polling only because I found some suggestions on mailing lists,
that it could improve performance with SAMBA on FreeBSD. As you see at
the top of this thread - not in my case :) I also tried sysctl tunings,
and smb.conf settings, also suggested on maling lists, with no or very
little improvements noticed. Most of suggestions unfortunately end with
"change OS to Linux if you want to use SAMBA". I think I will try to
change NIC to 1Gbit - hope that helps :) Or maybe there's some "FreeBSD
and SAMBA tuning guide" which I didn't found?

--
Bartosz Stec