Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

Eirik Wixøe Svela eirik at nynorsk.no
Sun Oct 5 11:25:36 UTC 2008

Thank you for your reply, David.

You seem to be answering a question I did not ask, but allow me to
respond briefly in any case: I have been using the operating system
since January, and I am full aware of its line of inheritance as well as
the UNIX 03 certification, and I have no major beef with it for everyday
purposes.

However, for all its ease of use and outstanding graphical user
interface, I still find that its crossbred nature makes for a somewhat
untidy system when dealing with nitty-gritty UNIX tasks such as enabling
and configuring the firewall, configuring the system for maximum
security (the default file permissions allow everyone to watch what's
inside everyone else's home directories, for instance), installing an
application by hand and so on. I also much prefer the free software
movement and its principles to Apple and its "principles".

Now, could someone answer my original question?

Regards