gmirror and gstripe

Nenhum_de_Nos matheus at eternamente.info
Sat Nov 29 05:04:59 PST 2008

On Wed, November 19, 2008 10:39 am, Bartosz Stec wrote:
> Nenhum_de_Nos pisze:
>> hail,
>>
>> I have an old AthlonXP 1700+ running 7-STABLE:
>>
>> FreeBSD xxx 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #1: Thu Nov 13 23:54:59
>> BRT 2008 root at xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/xxx i386
>>
>> where I have two 750GB Seagate SATA Disks. They are divided as two slices,
>> around the first 120GB are gathered in gmirror, and what left is in
gstripe. so that's whats going on. if the machine locks, and fsck comes
>> make its job, the box just gets slower and slower till I have to reset it
>> the hard way. to make it not lock after just 5 minutes I have to boot and
>> umount the "arrays", and then run fsck_ufs on them. so this way I can have
>> the box running again.
>>
> Did you mean that machine slows down while doing background fsck? If
yes, problem is probably related to snapshot which is created, and
background fsck is done on snapshot.

>> as I can't count on no power outage till the end of days, what can I do ?
>>

> You may just disable background fsck and do it manually in single user
mode in that case just by typing fsck -y.

Jeremy Chadwick wrote a lot about it:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Bartosz Stec

some news:

my router+file server got stuck with a usb 2.5" hdd enclosure and I had to
hard reboot. when it got uo again, I got this:

fsync: giving up on dirty
0xc43ec678: tag devfs, type VCHR
    usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 678 mountedhere 0xc4388b00
    flags ()
    v_object 0xc14291f0 ref 0 pages 2700
     lock type devfs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xc45e9220 (pid 1719)
        dev mirror/mirror0

but afaik, the files are there. so I question, is it yet safe to use
gmirror for my files integrity sake ?

is there anything I may be doing wrong to cause this ? what can I help to
help fix this ?

thanks,

matheus

--