IXP SB600 SATA missing quirk?

Victor Balada Diaz victor at bsdes.net
Wed Nov 26 23:57:44 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 08:42:10AM +0300, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> >i'm trying FreeBSD 7.1 BETA2 in amd64 and i'm having issues with interrupt
> >storms. The machine works without problems as long as i don't stress much
> >the HD. If i have high IO load after a few hours the system starts to have
> >interrupt storms and never again recovers from them until i restart.
> >
> >My SATA card is:
> >
> >atapci0 at pci0:0:18:0:    class=0x01018f card=0x73271462 chip=0x43801002
> >rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> >    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
> >    device     = 'IXP SB600 Serial ATA Controller'
> >    class      = mass storage
> >    subclass   = ATA
> >
> >The MotherBoard is MSI K9AG Neo 2[1] and the kernel is
> >GENERIC without USB and firewire support.
> >
> >After digging a bit in the source i've find that linux
> >people have a quirk for this chipset and i've been unable
> >to find in our code a similar quirk. You can find the quirk
> >here:
> >
> >http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/drivers/pci/quirks.c?v=linux-2.6#L870
> >
> >I don't know exactly what does it do, neither i do know
> >if it have anything to know with my interrupt issues, but
> >could someone who knows a bit better tell me if that
> >could fix the issue or if we need that quirk for other
> >purposes?
>
> It seems this quirk only changes PCIR_PROGIF and PCIR_SUBCLASS registers
> to PCIP_STORAGE_SATA_AHCI_1_0 and PCIS_STORAGE_SATA values. I don't know
> which
> magic these changes should do, but I think they aren't needed.
> Your controller should work in AHCI mode without this quirk.

Thanks Andrey.
Yes, my controller is detected as AHCI, but i thought this quirk could
have anything to do with the interrupt issues i'm having.  Now it's
clear that it doesn't have anything to do, so 'll keep searching, but
I'm a bit lost as you can see :)

Regards
--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.