IXP SB600 SATA missing quirk?

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Wed Nov 26 21:56:54 PST 2008

Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> i'm trying FreeBSD 7.1 BETA2 in amd64 and i'm having issues with interrupt
> storms. The machine works without problems as long as i don't stress much
> the HD. If i have high IO load after a few hours the system starts to have
> interrupt storms and never again recovers from them until i restart.
>
> My SATA card is:
>
> atapci0 at pci0:0:18:0:    class=0x01018f card=0x73271462 chip=0x43801002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>     device     = 'IXP SB600 Serial ATA Controller'
>     class      = mass storage
>     subclass   = ATA
>
> The MotherBoard is MSI K9AG Neo 2[1] and the kernel is
> GENERIC without USB and firewire support.
>
> After digging a bit in the source i've find that linux
> people have a quirk for this chipset and i've been unable
> to find in our code a similar quirk. You can find the quirk
> here:
>
> http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/drivers/pci/quirks.c?v=linux-2.6#L870
>
> I don't know exactly what does it do, neither i do know
> if it have anything to know with my interrupt issues, but
> could someone who knows a bit better tell me if that
> could fix the issue or if we need that quirk for other
> purposes?

It seems this quirk only changes PCIR_PROGIF and PCIR_SUBCLASS registers
to PCIP_STORAGE_SATA_AHCI_1_0 and PCIS_STORAGE_SATA values. I don't know which
magic these changes should do, but I think they aren't needed.
Your controller should work in AHCI mode without this quirk.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov