NFS Performance Issue

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 10:46:01 PST 2008

> We recently found that the Performance of the NFS Client in FreeBSD is
> worse than that in Linux.

What OS is your nfs-server running?

> It's about 1/3 of NFS client in Linux. We have tuned TCP recv/send
> buffer, and got no gain. The mount parameters are: (We use amd)
> rw,nfsv3,lockd,grpid,intr,soft,cache,nodev,resvport,timeo=10,retrans=3,async,rsize=1024,wsize=1024,noatime
>
> Does anyone has any suggestion to get the performance better? Thank you all!

You can ommit read- and write-size using tcp-mounts. From 'man mount_nfs':

     -w      Set the write data size to the specified value.  Ditto the com-
             ments w.r.t. the -r option, but using the ``fragments dropped due
             to timeout'' value on the server instead of the client.  Note
             that both the -r and -w options should only be used as a last
             ditch effort at improving performance when mounting servers that
             do not support TCP mounts.

I have a solaris 9 nfs-server with vxfs and I used to mount using udp
but then I ran into 'server not responding' and changed to
tcp-nfs-mount instead. I just copied a 200 MB file to the nfs-server
in 7.5 sec. which is 26.6 MB/s.

--
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare