RELENG_7_1: Laptop mouse (psm0) disappeared??!?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue Nov 25 12:09:08 PST 2008

I was running the recently-tagged RELENG_7_1 on my laptop, doing stuff
involving switching among a small handful of xterms, when the mouse
became unresponsive.

Ctl+Alt+F2 got me to a vty, though, so the systems hadn't paniced.

A "ps ax | grep mouse" showed that moused(8) was running.

I tried re-starting moused(8) via "sh /etc/rc.d/moused restart", only to
be informed:

	psm0: failed to reset the aux device.
	psm0: the aux device has gone! (reinitialize).

This was not auspicious. :-{

I tried suspend (to RAM), then awakening the machine; no change.

I tried attaching an external PS/2 mouse; no change.

Eventually, I gave up & rebooted -- after appending

	hint.psm.0.flags="0x2000"

to /boot/device.hints.

The machine is running:

FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #785: Tue Nov 25 05:59:55 PST 2008     root at g1-37.catwhisker.org:/common/S3/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  i386

The hardware is a mutant/hybrid between a Dell Latitude D840 & a Dell
Inspiron 8200.  While I normally run RELENG_6 when I'm doing most work
on it, I have been tracking RELENG_6 (on slice 1), RELENG_7 (on slice 3),
and HEAD (on slice 4).  This morning, I "cloned" slice 3 to slice 2 &
set it up to track RELENG_7_1.

I've not encountered this behavior previously; the current hardware
configuration has been stable for at least 6 weeks or so (and most
of the significant parts have been in regular use for at least a
couple of years).

I'm not especially keen to turn psm(4) debugging on, unless there's
some way to get it to be pretty selective and only produce output
that has a reasonably high probability of being useful.

Any (other) suggestions?

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.