no priority on the console?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Mon Nov 24 12:55:23 PST 2008

As per my previous message, I've spent about 3 months trying to debug
a problem that was causing all disk I/O to go very slowly.

One of the things which made this nearly impossible to diagnose was
the absolute lack of priority given to the console.  Logging in on the
console would take 12-15 minutes.  Hitting enter on the console would
usually take between 3 and 5 minutes.

This doesn't seem right to me.  Can someone explain why the console
isn't given a very high priority?  Why not?  What other mechanism does
the sysadmin have for debugging, at a time when SSH logins either
fail, or take up to an hour to complete?