ext2 inode size patch - RE: PR kern/124621

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:29:59 PST 2008

A while back, I submitted a patch for PR kern/124621, which allows the
mounting of an ext2(3) filesystem created with an inode size other
than 128.  The e2fsprogs' default is now 256, so file systems created
on newer Linux distributions or with the port will not be mountable.

I was hopeful this would get committed in time for 7.1-RELEASE (and
6.4-RELEASE), however the PR remains open.

If there is an issue with the patch itself, I would be glad to fix it.
I'm posting to fs@ because hopefully some folks more experienced with
file system/kernel code can have a look and see if the patch is ok to
commit.

I've seen a few people in ##freebsdhelp on Freenode as well as
#freebsdhelp on EFnet with this problem, and have had them test this
patch out with success (and no obvious adverse effects), so I was
hoping it could committed in time for 7.1-RELEASE. Since 6.4 is so
close to release, I'm not so sure about that.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if the patch could get some review to
see if it can be committed in time.

Regards,
Josh