R: Re: R: Re: 6.4-RC2 crashes after a few minutes of uptime

Barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Sun Nov 23 22:51:24 PST 2008

something

built

>> update provide a kernel.debug?
>>>
>>> I haven't had to use a the kernel.
debug file
>> in the obj dir in a long
>>> time. As far as I know, these days,
the GENERIC
>> kernel includes debug
>>> symbols. And in cases when there
aren't any debug
>> symbols, that
>>> shouldn't prevent kgdb from loading, I
wouldn't think.

>> Hello,
>>
>> I had a k panic some hours ago but I think
that's related to a
>> problem with one
>> of my HDs.
>>
>> I've got a dump
in /var/crash, and as you were interested, I run:

>>    # kgdb
/boot/kernel/kernel /var/crash/vmcore.6

>>    GNU gdb 6.1.1
>> [FreeBSD]

>>    Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>>    GDB is free

software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are

welcome
>> to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
conditions.

>>    Type
>> "show copying" to see the conditions.

There is absolutely no warranty for
>> GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.

>>    This GDB was configured as "i386-
>> marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging
symbols found)...

>>    Attempt to extract a
>> component of a value that is
not a structure pointer.

>>    Attempt to extract a
>> component of a value
that is not a structure pointer.

>>    Attempt to extract a
>> component of
a value that is not a structure pointer.

>>    Attempt to extract a

component of a value that is not a structure pointer.

>>    Terminated
>>

>> I had
>> to pkill kgdb as it was in a loop.
>>
>> Running it against kernel.
debug in
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/$KERNCONF/ worked as expected.
>> I've always
followed this
>> way, so I don't know if it was working with earlier releases.

>Ah, well you must not be using GENERIC then, because it does have the

>debugging symbols.
>
>I think this is the setting in the GENERIC config that
controls it:

>makeoptions	DEBUG=-g
>
>But I guess what you're doing works if
you're using a custom kernel