R: Re: 6.4-RC2 crashes after a few minutes of uptime

Barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Sun Nov 23 15:37:14 PST 2008

>> About kgdb...
>> I never used freebsd-update, so sorry if I'm saying
something
>> stupid, but could it be the case that the kernel has been
built
>> without debugging symbols or something like that? Does freebsd-

update provide a kernel.debug?

>I haven't had to use a the kernel.debug file
in the obj dir in a long
>time. As far as I know, these days, the GENERIC
kernel includes debug
>symbols. And in cases when there aren't any debug
symbols, that
>shouldn't prevent kgdb from loading, I wouldn't think.

Hello,

I had a k panic some hours ago but I think that's related to a problem with one
of my HDs.

I've got a dump in /var/crash, and as you were interested, I run:

    # kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel /var/crash/vmcore.6

    GNU gdb 6.1.1
[FreeBSD]

    GDB is free
software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are

    welcome
to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.

    Type
"show copying" to see the conditions.

    There is absolutely no warranty for
GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.

    This GDB was configured as "i386-
marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...

    Attempt to extract a
component of a value that is not a structure pointer.

    Attempt to extract a
component of a value that is not a structure pointer.

    Attempt to extract a
component of a value that is not a structure pointer.

    Attempt to extract a
component of a value that is not a structure pointer.

    Terminated

I had
to pkill kgdb as it was in a loop.

Running it against kernel.debug in
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/$KERNCONF/ worked as expected.
I've always followed this
way, so I don't know if it was working with earlier releases.