MFC ZFS: when?

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 16:20:06 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Paul B. Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/08, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In several of the recent ZFS posts, multiple people have asked when this
> > will be MFC'd to 7.x.  This query has been studiously ignored as other
> > chatter about whatever ZFS issue is discussed.
> >
> > So in a post with no other bug report or discussion content to distract
> us,
> > when is it intended that ZFS be MFC'd to 7.x?
>
> Once no new bugs appear any more, and old one are fixed.

That's a pretty cop-out answer.  Considering the the version of ZFS in 7.x
has significant issues and the ZFS patches havn't shown any propensity to
affect non-ZFS systems when ZFS is not running or loaded, the benefit of
importing the new code seems to outweigh any caution you might feel.  I can
understand an answer such as "not in 7.1, but immediately after" ... given
the standards we apply to release branches ... but a vague "when no bugs
seem to appear" applies much less to a system like ZFS (still in flux) than,
say, the new USB stack.