Curious failure of ZFS snapshots

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Fri Nov 21 05:39:24 PST 2008

I have a couple of boxes here which make daily snapshots
of their filesystems. One just makes a snapshot at 7am, called '7am'
which it does by deleting the previous days and making a new one called
'7am'. The other has snapshots called 'today', 'yesterday', '2daysago'
etc, up to a week. It does this by deleting the '5daysago' snapshot,
renaming all the others to shuffle them down by one, and then creating
a new snapshot for 'today'.

On the box with the snapshots being created every day with the same
name I quickly end up with unavailable snapshots, and the error
message: 'Bad file descriptor'. On the machine which is creating
dailys which do not have the same name this does not happen.

Interesting - and unexpected. The machines are running identical
kernels, being 7-STABLE form a few days ago.

-pete.