Will XFS be adopted

Bartosz Stec admin at kkip.pl
Thu Nov 20 23:48:27 PST 2008

martinko pisze:
> Bartosz Stec wrote:
>>>
>> Well it's not simple indeed. I use ZFS on my home (not critical) box
>> (RAIDZ1). After 4 weeks uptime with varied workload I assumed it's
>> stable. Unfortunately ZFS crashed next week ;)
>>

> How did it crash ?  Just the system went down or did you lose any data ?
>
> I'm planning to build new home server and put all my valuable data on
> ZFS but after reading all the mailing lists I'm not so sure about it. :(
>
> M.
I didn't loose any data , and system was up (ping and packet filter did
still working), but filesystem was unaccesible so any kind of process
which need hdd acces didn't work correctly (like ssh shell or mail
server). Hard reboot was one and only solution ;)
Feel free to test ZFS for yourself. Good tuning should made it stable
enough for you. You also shouldn't worry for your data, ZFS problems are
mainly related to kernel memory exhaustion, not a data corruption
(Backups however are always recomended before tasks like this). Check
the ZFS tuning guide http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide and good luck.

My home system is i386 with 1,5GB of memory and tuned with:

KERNEL:

    options         KVA_PAGES=512

loader.conf:

    vm.kmem_size="1024M"
    vm.kmem_size_max="1024M"

It's a very simple tuning, just for tests. My system probably needs ARC
settings or vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1 to be (more) stable. I'll do more
tests, but you probably should do your own - there's no one good tuning
solution for every system configuration. Just search this list - there's
a lot of examples and hints. Jeremy Chadwick explained a lot of those
settings too.

--
Bartosz Stec

AUXILIA Spółka z o.o.