(actually ZFS discussion) Re: Will XFS be adopted

Rudy crapsh at monkeybrains.net
Wed Nov 19 11:46:49 PST 2008

> Well it's not simple indeed. I use ZFS on my home (not critical) box
> (RAIDZ1). After 4 weeks uptime with varied workload I assumed it's
> stable. Unfortunately ZFS crashed next week ;)

Tune your system for ZFS and the crashes will go away.
Read this:  http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide

A running system with ZFS caches a lot of disk access (making it really
fast for some applications).  WHen you run the 'top' command, you will
see that WIRED amount of ram is higher than a system without ZFS.

  Mem: 161M Active, 114M Inact, 639M Wired, 1084K Cache, 199M Buf, 1086M
Free

What applications will benefit from ZFS?  Read this article on MySQL and
ZFS:
 http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-zfs.html
It proposed that you allocate less ram to MySQL in your my.cnf and let
ZFS take care of caching.

Here are my loader.conf settings.

zfs_load="YES"
# ZFS tunings