atacontrol missing drive after upgrade to 6.3

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 19 11:33:15 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:29:19AM -0800, Mark Sams wrote:
> > From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
> > You're using Intel MatrixRAID, aren't you?  Please migrate away from
> > this immediately, your data is at risk.
>
> Ummm... I don't think so. It is just a standard RAID 1 mirror using the
> built in ICH5 chip. It has been running fine for a over a year now on
> the other builds of FreeBSD 6.x.  It is not RAID 0+1 or whatever the
> Matrix RAID thing is.

The built-in ICH5 == Intel MatrixRAID.  It's BIOS-level RAID under an
Intel ICH chip.  It's called MatrixRAID.

I have no personal problem with Intel MatrixRAID.  What I'm telling you
is that FreeBSD's support for it is horribly, horribly broken.  You
*will* lose your data.  Read my Wiki entries in full.

I'm only going to say this once more: please reconsider.  You very
likely are not going to be able to recover that failed array.  The last
person who had this problem had to boot a Linux LiveCD and attempt to
use Linux tools to repair it.