Will XFS be adopted

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:06:02 PST 2008

>>> [...] I would wait until it has been considered stable and moved into
>>> the 7-STABLE tree before deploying a production server.
>>
>> ZFS has been in 7 for over a year.
>>
>> DES
>
> Yes, it's in STABLE, however zfs module says:
>
>   This module (opensolaris) contains code covered by the
>   Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)
>   see http://opensolaris.org/os/licensing/opensolaris_license/
>   *WARNING: ZFS is considered to be an experimental feature in FreeBSD.*
>
> So ZFS in 7.X should not be considered as STABLE for now.

Install a server with zfs and test it. Then let it handle tasks that
are not critical. And if it works for you proceed and deploy it. It's
somewhat difficult to say that it works for your particular workload.
Some have rather positive experience and others are very reluctant.

I use it as an internal samba-server and the issues I have are related
to the external sas-cabinet rather than zfs itself.

--
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare