What would be the appropriate value for kern.maxfiles

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 19:14:06 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Ramesh Ayyagari
<rameshayyagari at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have my client system running FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p1 with 4 GB of RAM. This morning i have the following errors popping up on the console log -
>
> postfix/qmgr[94057]: fatal: socket: Too many open files
>
> Googling for this error, I found this is someway related to the kernel parameter kern.maxflies and increasing this value can have errors go away. The present value of this parameter is 24000. I also found this also depends of the RAM we have on the system.
>
> what would the appropriate value for kern.maxfiles for a system having 2GB RAM, a system having 4 GB and a system having 16GB of RAM. Please help

The Xorg meta-package recommends 'kern.maxfiles="25000"' for a desktop
system.  This is a situation where it really depends on what you're
using your system for.

HTH

--
Glen Barber
570.328.0318

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to
show you how it's done."
 --Scott Adams