Possible regression in ifconfig under7.0 - removes validdefault route

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Nov 18 01:34:27 PST 2008

> >Oh yeah, since we're in wishful thinking mode, I want interface
> >descriptions too...
>
> Have you looked at the 'name' and 'group' keywords in ifconfig(8)?
> If this isn't what you want, please expand on your wish.

It is not what I want.

On routers, switches and lots of other boxes from most vendors you can
associate a description string with each interface - where interface
can be a physical port, or for instance a VLAN based interface. This
description string is useful to document things like

- what is the box at the other end of the cable connected to this port
- what is the port at the other end of the cable connected to this port
- what is the circuit id for the circuit this port is connected to
- what is this port used for

etc. Typical example, from one of our switches (Cisco syntax):

interface GigabitEthernet0/12
 description TO: fs1.td  ID: BTN-11510092  TXT: gi1/0/7 EoSDH 50 Mbps
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 123,770,1024,1500,1504,1528,1536

showing the first three points I mentioned above.

Such a description string is can normally be retrieved using SNMP.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no