Possible regression in ifconfig under7.0 - removes validdefault route

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 12:47:33 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Chadwick" <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
> I can try to reproduce this if you'd like, on a VMware session.
>
> One case where the default route could be (I haven't checked) removed:
> some NIC drivers in the past, when changing the "primary IP" (first IP
> shown in ifconfig for an interface), would actually bring down the
> entire interface (e.g. ifconfig XXX down) then back up again a second or
> two later.  dmesg on your machine would be able to confirm whether or
> not this is happening.

Thanks Jeremy, no such down up here is show so I believe this is not
the case, here anyway. The interface in question was em0 details:-
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection Version - 6.7.3> port 0xd400-0xd43f mem 0xfea60000-0xfea7ffff,0xfea40000-0xfea5ffff irq
23 at device 8.0 on pci1
em0: Ethernet address: 00:30:48:71:b6:b7
em0: [FILTER]

FreeBSD test 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Would be most interested in the results of you vm test if you would
be so kind.

    Regards
    Steve