Possible regression in ifconfig under7.0 - removes valid default route

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 11:27:32 PST 2008

I believe there "may be" a regression in the behaviour of ifconfig or
possibly just something I've never experienced before.

Basically when changing the IP of one of our machines, it suddenly
became inaccessible. After some investigation it turned out the machine
was inaccessible from anything other than the local VLAN and continued
diagnostics determined that the process of changing the IP had also
removed the default route.

This was clearly unexpected behaviour as the new IP was on the same
VLAN as the old IP and hence no routing table updates should be
required.

I don't have any older machines to test this on but I believe we have
done this procedure in the past without any such issues so wanted to
raise it here to see if anyone else has had experience with it.

Even if this isn't a regression it may well be something worth fixing
as its quite unexpected behaviour which could render a machine totally
inaccessible.

    Regards
    Steve