6.4-RC2 crashes after a few minutes of uptime

barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Sun Nov 16 14:29:03 PST 2008

> > Hi Rory,
> >
> > did you see my replies or are you missing them for any reason?
>
> Yes, I have seen your replies. I must have missed the PR you mentioned
> last time, sorry.

No problem!

> > Your panics and
> > some aspects about how they happens look like mine to me, look here:
> > http:
> > //lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/045865.html
>
> Yes, indeed. That looks very similar to the issue I'm running into
> with 6.4-RC2 as well. Sounds like it might be a regression in ata(4).
> At least you were able to open the core dump. Are you still able to
> open core dumps with RC2?

I'm not sure. I'm running STABLE and I had no panics after the branch has changed to RC2. It seems that my panics are not frequent as yours.
Anyway my box freezed a couple of times after last newvers.sh and the symptoms looked like the same, with messages about acd0. I was able to ping it but it won't let me ssh in, like it was using all the cpus.

About kgdb...
I never used freebsd-update, so sorry if I'm saying something stupid, but could it be the case that the kernel has been built without debugging symbols or something like that? Does freebsd-update provide a kernel.debug?
I've seen that you are not using shiny quad-core, but could you try building a kernel by yourself? I think that you could do it using a different, more powerful, freebsd box if you have it, or even on qemu. I could help if you wish.