hangs for 7.1-PRE [was: problem possibly related to multi-ip jail patch?]

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Nov 16 02:15:10 PST 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Lorenzo Perone wrote:

Hi,

> I've been experiencing problems with one of the machines running FreeBSD
> 7.1-PRERELEASE #2: Thu Oct 16 20:23:09 CEST 2008 with the multi-ip patch
> bz_jail7-20080920-01-at150161.diff, and I'm wondering if it possibly related
> to the patch - in any case, any advice would be very welcome.

bottom line is that most of this looks less likely to be a jail
problem.

> It happens that mysql (tried both 4.0 and 5.1, in 2 separate jails), at some
> time stop responding to connections, and mysql gets stuck in sbwait state. It
> is only killable with kill -9 <pid>

Yeah, I had been seeing mysql hang or go to 99% CPU for years once in
a while; it's been more rare the last months. I have seen it in- and
outside of jails, with or without patches.

You could try to see if you can get backtraces of those processes.

> each of the two mysqlds is running in a jail on one private IP, serving
> connections to a webserver nearby - the latter having one public and one
> private IP, communicating with the other jail via the private network.
>
> I also experienced two complete system hangs (which must not be necessarily
> related to the mysql problem) both during a shutdown -r now. one was a panic,
> in another case the machine was still pingable but did not shut down
> completely. I could only reset it over the DRAC. here's a screenshot I made
> over the Dell RAC: http://lorenzo.yellowspace.net/stuck.png

Looking at your image I see more problems before the shutdown so this
as well is most likely not a jail problem.

> Since I'm also using zfs there and the kernel has been built with the DTRACE
> options.
>
> any advice (also about which more details that I should/could provide) would
> be very welcome...

I am Cc:ing the answer to stable@ and setting reply-to: to move the discussion there.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb              Stop bit received. Insert coin for new game.