6.4-RC2 crashes after a few minutes of uptime

Rory Arms rorya+freebsd.org at TrueStep.com
Sun Nov 16 00:22:49 PST 2008

On 2008-11-07, at 12:17 , Ken Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 00:00 -0500, Rory Arms wrote:
>> Well, if I can assist with further debugging, let me know.
>
> The person who followed up with a list of things that *may* have made
> the problem go away mentioned one of the things was disabling powerd.
> Do you have that enable, and if yes would you mind disabling it to see
> if that's the culprit?

Ken,

Ok, guess something is amiss with the CD-ROM drive on this notebook,
as in GNOME, it flashes an icon of a CD on the desktop from time to
time, as if it has detected a disc in the drive. But of course there
is no disc in the drive. I believe it did the same with 6.3 though,
but as said before didn't ever panic due to this issue.

So, some anecdotal info, after running RC2 for a few days now. It
seems the pattern is that it seems to always panic a few minutes after
a first cold boot, but then seems to remain stable after the second
boot. Odd, as with 6.3 this didn't happen. So, I happened to catch a
panic while working in the syscons console after one of these cold
boots. As far as I can tell,  the panic does have something to do with
the the CD-ROM drive, as right after I saw this message on the
console, it immediately paniced:

acd0: WARNING - PREVENT_ALLOW read data overrun 18>0

and then the panic is as follows:

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

fault virtual address			= 0x78
fault code				= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer			= 0x20:0xc06d39b9
stack pointer				= 0x28:0xca865c10
frame pointer				= 0x28:0xca865c14
code segment				= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
					= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags			= resume, IOPL = 0
current process				= 19 (swi6: task queue)
trap number				= 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 1h9m7s
Physical memory: 179MB
Dumping 43MB: 28 12
Dump complete

This is also the computer, as you may recall, that I can't ever get
kgdb(1) to open the core dump file. Note the uptime on that particular
boot was 1h because I pretty much let it sit idle after booting. So,
gdm loaded and then I switched to syscons, logged in, and then pretty
much let it idle, till it paniced.

Hope that helps,

- rory